A hearty vegetable soup, quick to whip up and cook on a busy night. It’s best paired with a few sprinkles of parmesan cheese and some thick crusty bread!
“You’ll need coffee shops and sunsets and road trips. Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, but people more than anything else. You will need other people, and you will need to be that other person to someone else, a living breathing screaming invitation to believe better things.”
― Jamie Tworkowski
I saw this quote the other day and it made me think about the importance of the people in my life. So much of what we do is influenced by what other people are doing, what we see people posting on instagram or Facebook. We see someone’s epic adventures through the wilderness and immediately add it to our bucket list. We have a running list of things we’d like to do with our days, our lives and heck our instagram page. But is any of this really important? At the end of the day is really going to matter what we did to better other people’s opinions of us? Or rather who we were able to influence throughout our lives? People are so much more important than things. Spend your days with intention, make time to get to know someone better, ask a friend how they’re really doing rather than a quick question in passing. Because epic adventures are so much better with
dogs people and a life lived in community with others is far better than one lived for yourself.
This hearty white bean and kale soup is one best made with someone else. Cooking and eating with someone is a great way to be intentional and express companionship. This soup is great for a chilly winter night and some evening tunes. Ohmygosh It might even be the best soup I’ve ever made. The white wine adds a tangy flavor and the red pepper flakes add a little kick. It’s filled with ingredients that will nourish your body and you’ll feel all warm and cozy while you eat it. Sprinkle some cheese and bread on top and enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp white wine
- 1 can cannellini beans, dried and rinsed
- 5 C vegetable broth
- 4 large lacinato (dinosaur) kale leaves, chopped and stems removed
- Thick crusty bread
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling (optional)
- In a large pot heat olive oil and onions, stir until onions are soft. 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, rosemary and garlic and sauce for another 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Cook until tomatoes have reduced down, about 15 minutes.
- Add in white wine and let simmer for about 1 minute.
- Stir in beans and vegetable broth.
- Let simmer on stove for at least 30 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Stir in kale and bread chunks. Cook for a few more minutes until kale is a bit wilted
- Pour into soup bowls, sprinkle fresh parmesan cheese and season to taste.
Adapted from this Love and Lemons recipe.